Provisions relating to Adult Education in US have been incorporated in Title 20 of the US Code.
The term adult education has been defined in the US Code which reads as follows:-
"Adult education means services or instruction below the postsecondary level for individuals:
- who have attained 16 years of age;
- who are not enrolled or required to be enrolled in secondary school under State law; and
- Lack sufficient mastery of basic educational skills to enable the individuals to function effectively in society;
- Do not have a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent, and have not achieved an equivalent level of education; or
- Are unable to speak, read, or write the English language."
The primary objective of adult education or adult literacy is to help adults to attain literacy and acquire the information essential for employment and self-reliance.